The PIN Needs To Evolve
The Introduction of the PIN
Shriram Bhikaji Velankar, a name which may not mean a lot to most of you, was an additional secretary in the Union Ministry of Communications, under the leadership of Indira Gandhi, in 1972.
Why is that important you ask?
You will know, soon, is the answer.
What happened in 1972 in and for India? A lot of things, let’s try listing them out for fun!
- Manipur got it’s statehood
- India and Bangladesh signed a friendship treaty.
- India and Pakistan signed the Simla Agreement.
- The Wild Life Protection Act was passed.
- Meena Kumari and Geeta Dutt passed away.
I am probably forgetting a couple of things here, but how do any of those things mentioned above have anything to do with Velankar?
However, on the 15th of August in 1972, India was introduced to the Postal Index Number (PIN / PIN Code) system, yes, surprisingly enough, the colonial...
Continue reading →